Civil Servants: Allowances

Cabinet Office written question – answered on 15th November 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Foulkes of Cumnock Lord Foulkes of Cumnock Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government what allowance is paid to civil servants from outside London for accommodation when they are required to stay in London as part of their employment.

Photo of Lord Young of Cookham Lord Young of Cookham Lord in Waiting (HM Household) (Whip), Lords Spokesperson (Cabinet Office)

There is no central government travel, subsistence and expenses (T,S&E) policy, and as such, rates and allowances are delegated for individual departments to decide upon. In setting their rates departments must be adherent with Section 8 of the Civil Service Management Code (CSMC), Jon Thompson's 2010 review of Civil Service expense policies and The Efficiency and Reform Group Business Travel Policy Principles launched on 20 July 2011.

As there is no cross-government T,S&E policy, there is no centrally held information on the accommodation allowance paid by departments to non-London based civil servants when they are required to stay in London as part of their employment. This information will be held in individual departments.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No4 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.