Supported Housing: Mental Illness

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 31st October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Janet Daby Janet Daby Labour, Lewisham East

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what criteria mental health supported housing must meet to qualify as exempt accommodation in relation to occupants in receipt of (a) housing benefit and (b) universal credit.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

For mental health supported housing to qualify for exempt accommodation

(a) the accommodation must be provided by:

  • A housing association, whether registered or unregistered
  • A registered charity
  • A non for profit voluntary organisation
  • An English non-metropolitan county council

(b) But only if (in each of the above) care, support and supervision are provided to the claimant.

The above applies to occupants receiving housing benefit and universal credit. Claimants in exempt accommodation can get housing benefit even if they are on universal credit.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.