Supported Housing: Housing Benefit

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 31st October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Janet Daby Janet Daby Labour, Lewisham East

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether tenants living in supported housing will have their housing benefit replaced with universal credit as a result of the roll-out of universal credit.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

In October 2017 we consulted on proposals to achieve a sustainable funding provision for supported housing. This included a ring fenced local authority grant for short-term provision and an enhanced regulatory regime for sheltered and extra care housing (“Sheltered Rent”).

We took note of all the consultation responses and opinions, in particular listening to views expressed by the sector throughout the process, working closely with providers and others.

As a result, on 9th August, we announced that we will maintain all of supported housing in Housing Benefit. This decision reflects our commitment to protecting the most vulnerable people in our society.

At present, there are no plans to replace housing benefit for those in supported accommodation and claiming universal credit, as a result of universal credit roll-out. .

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.