Secondary Education: Pupil Exclusions

Department for Education written question – answered on 22nd October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Catherine McKinnell Catherine McKinnell Labour, Newcastle upon Tyne North

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what steps his Department is taking to support pupils who have been excluded from secondary school to access (a) apprenticeships and (b) other forms of post-16 training.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

There are duties in place to make sure that suitable, full time alternative provision (AP) is available for children of compulsory school age who have been excluded for a fixed period or permanently. Local authorities are responsible for making sure that provision meets the needs of young people in their area. This includes identifying 16 to 19 year olds who are not in education, employment or training, such as those excluded from school, and providing the help they need to participate and progress.

Young people have access to a range of support and guidance, including the 16-19 Bursary Fund to assist with the costs associated with staying in post-16 further education, and Access to Work funding to support apprentices who are disabled or have a physical or mental health condition.

In March 2018, the Government published its vision for AP, including a plan for improving the support it offers to young people.The Department will continue to engage with AP and post-16 providers to identify and share new ways of helping young people make the transition into post-16 settings, apprenticeships and adult life. The Department has published primary research into the recent experiences of children, schools, AP and post-16 providers regarding this transition. The Department has also announced the successful AP Innovation fund projects to improve outcomes for young people leaving AP at age 16.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.