Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

British Nationals Abroad

Department for Exiting the European Union written question – answered on 18th October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Paul Blomfield Paul Blomfield Shadow Minister (Exiting the European Union)

To ask the Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, what discussions he has had with his counterparts in (a) Austria, (b) Belgium, (c) Bulgaria, (d) Croatia, (e) Cyprus, (f) The Czech Republic, (g) Denmark, (h) Estonia, (i) Finland, (j) France, (k) Germany, (l) Greece, (m) Hungary, (n) Ireland, (o) Italy, (p) Latvia, (q) Lithuania, (r) Luxembourg, (s) Malta, (t) The Netherlands, (u) Poland, (v) Portugal, (w) Romania, (x) Slovakia, (y) Slovenia, (z) Spain and (i) Sweden on maintaining the rights of UK nationals in those member states in the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

Photo of Suella Braverman Suella Braverman The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union

Ministers and officials from DExEU and other Government departments speak regularly to Ministers and senior officials from other Member States about the issues related to our exit from the EU, including on the rights of UK nationals in the EU.

We are urging our EU counterparts to offer the same reassurance to UK nationals living in EU Member States as the Prime Minister recently gave to EU citizens in the UK. We will also ensure all relevant information is available to UK nationals overseas in the most transparent and accessible way.

For information on living in a specific Member State citizens should refer to the “Living in Guides” on

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.