We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

System Building: Safety

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 18th October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Healey John Healey Shadow Secretary of State for Housing

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what recent assessment he has made of the adequacy of the safety of large panel system buildings.

Photo of James Brokenshire James Brokenshire The Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government

Building owners are responsible for the safety of their properties. We have written to councils and housing associations to advise them to check the structural safety of buildings which use large panel systems (LPS). If safety checks show that work is necessary, we expect building owners to manage these works and, if needed, ensure people are rehoused.

To assist buildings owners, on the advice of the Independent Expert Advisory Panel and the Standing Committee on Structural Safety, my department commissioned the Building Research Establishment (BRE) to review its risk assessment guidance on the structural safety of LPS buildings, which they have done, and we have established a forum of LPS building owners to disseminate information and good practice.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.