Bereavement Support Payment: Cohabitation

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 17th October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Angus MacNeil Angus MacNeil Chair, International Trade Committee, Chair, International Trade Committee

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if she will extend bereavement support payment to people who were cohabiting but were not married or in a civil partnership when one partner dies.

Photo of Justin Tomlinson Justin Tomlinson The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

The Supreme Court has ruled it incompatible with ECHR principles to provide that certain cohabitees with children are not entitled to Widowed Parent’s Allowance.

The ruling applies to Widowed Parent’s Allowance only. It does not apply to Bereavement Support Payment.

However, we are carefully considering the Court’s judgment and how the Department should proceed in the light of this. When we have looked at all the options, I will come before the House to update Parliament further on this matter.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.