Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Change of Use

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 22nd October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Healey John Healey Shadow Secretary of State for Housing

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what recent assessment he has made of the quality of homes that were converted into residential dwellings under permitted development.

Photo of James Brokenshire James Brokenshire The Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government

National permitted development rights play an important role in the planning system, providing flexibility, reducing bureaucracy and making the most effective use of existing buildings. Permitted development rights for change of use are making an important contribution to the delivery of new homes across the country. All homes, whether granted permission on a planning application or through a permitted development right, are required to meet Building Regulations, including fire safety.

A local authority building control body is required to hold a record of any compliance certificate issued in relation to Building Regulations. Where there are outstanding non-compliance issues in relation to building regulations it is for the local authority to consider enforcement.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.