Bicycles and Motorcycles: Insurance

Department for Transport written question – answered at on 16 October 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alex Chalk Alex Chalk Conservative, Cheltenham

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what provisions there are in statute for the insurance of food delivery (a) bicycle and (b) motorbike riders.

Photo of Jesse Norman Jesse Norman Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

There is no statutory requirement for delivery cyclists or for pedal cyclists in general to have compulsory insurance, and the Government has no current plans to mandate such a requirement. Motorbike riders require motor third party liability insurance under section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

It is, however, compulsory for employers to take out liability insurance to protect employees where they suffer injury or loss arising from their employment.

Various ‘insuretech’ businesses have also arisen in recent years offering pay-as-you-go hourly insurance, which provides personal accident and liability cover for food delivery workers (public liability for pedal cyclists and compulsory motor insurance for scooter or motorbike riders).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.