The total cost of National Health Service compulsory redundancies and ‘other departures’ since 2011-12 to 2012-13 and the total cost of NHS redundancies, both compulsory and voluntary, from 2013-14 is as follows:
Total cost (£000s)
Years 2011-12 and 2012-13 include NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts, primary care trusts and strategic health authorities.
Years 2013-14 to 2017-18 include NHS trusts, NHS foundation trusts, NHS England and clinical commissioning groups. Clinical commissioning group data is consolidated with NHS England data and cannot be disaggregated.
‘Other departures’ include voluntary redundancies, as well as the following categories of exit package payments:
- mutually agreed resignations contractual costs;
- early retirements in the efficiency of the service contractual costs;
- contractual payments in lieu of notice;
- exit payments following employment tribunals or court orders; and
- non-contractual payments requiring HM Treasury approval.