Department for Transport: Health

Department for Transport written question – answered at on 14 September 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Chris Ruane Chris Ruane Shadow Minister (Wales)

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, whether his Department uses Office for National Statistics estimates of personal well-being when formulating policy; and what policies his Department has introduced to improve national well-being in the last 12 months.

Photo of Nusrat Ghani Nusrat Ghani Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport), Assistant Whip (HM Treasury)

The Government has allocated more than £61bn in transport capital investment over the five years to 2020/21. This is record investment that ensures communities become better connected and journeys become easier and more reliable, in recognition of the vital role that transport plays in people’s lives.

The Department takes forward a number of policies that help promote personal wellbeing, including the recently published Inclusive Transport Strategy which aims to make travel easier for disabled people, and the £1.2bn Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy that aims to make cycling and walking the natural choice for short journeys.

The Department is also supporting the Government’s plan to help tackle loneliness as announced by the Prime Minister in January in response to the Jo Cox Commission. We have contributed £1m to the Building Connections Fund and sit on the cross-government group which will take responsibility for driving action on loneliness across all parts of government and keeping it firmly on the agenda.

The Department uses a wide range of measures that help to inform policy formulation, including evidence drawn from across the ONS. As such, it is not possible to identify all specific instances where the use of ONS estimates of personal wellbeing have been used in the last 12 months.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.