Children in Care

Department for Education written question – answered on 18th September 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Beecham Lord Beecham Shadow Spokesperson (Justice), Shadow Spokesperson (Communities and Local Government), Shadow Spokesperson (Housing)

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether they plan to require local authorities seeking to place looked-after children outside their own area to consult the local authority where a placement is being sought.

Photo of Lord Agnew of Oulton Lord Agnew of Oulton The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

The Children’s Homes and Looked After Children (Miscellaneous Amendments) (England) Regulations 2013 placed additional duties on local authorities seeking to place children out of the authority’s area.

Under the amended regulations, any decision to place a child outside of the local authority’s area must be approved by a nominated officer, or, if that placement is a distant one, by the Director of Children’s Services. The regulations further require that when considering making a distant placement, the responsible authority consults with the host authority, and shares information including the child’s care plan.

It should also be noted that local authorities do place looked-after children in boarding schools from time to time, where it is considered in the child’s best interests. Boarding schools, by their nature, can be outside the responsible local authority’s geographic area.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.