Universal Credit: Disability

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 11th September 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alison Thewliss Alison Thewliss Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Treasury), Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what reasonable adaptations are available for people with disabilities to apply for universal credit online.

Photo of Marsha de Cordova Marsha de Cordova Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (Disabled People)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what data modelling his Department has undertaken to estimate the number of claimants of universal credit with a disability that will require reasonable adjustments to access that benefit.

Photo of Alok Sharma Alok Sharma The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

We are committed to providing personalised support for all claimants, including vulnerable groups. Where our claimants require assistance to access our services and information, we make reasonable adjustments to meet their individual needs. This includes communicating with claimants in a variety of different formats such as braille, audio, large print, through third party interpreters or by arranging for a member of staff to visit the customer in their home.

Face to face and telephony support is in place for those vulnerable claimants who cannot self-serve online; the Universal Credit telephone helpline is now a free phone number. In certain circumstances, where a claimant is unable to manage their own affairs, an appointee can act on their behalf, taking responsibility for making and maintaining any benefit claim.

Universal Support provides Universal Credit claimants with additional help to use a computer to make or maintain their claim (Assisted Digital Support), help in managing their monthly Universal Credit payment and possible advice on their finances (Personal Budgeting Support).

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.