Boris Johnson

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 4th September 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Helen Goodman Helen Goodman Shadow Minister (Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, whether arrangements have been made for the right hon. Member for Uxbridge to pay rent on grace and favour apartments after 9 July 2018; and if he will make a statement.

Photo of Alistair Burt Alistair Burt Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Joint with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

​The Foreign and Commonwealth Office pays the annual rental on 1 Carlton Gardens under a longstanding lease arrangement with the Crown Estate. Foreign Secretaries do not pay rent while living in 1 Carlton Gardens, they pay for the running costs of the private living area, for example council tax and utilities. The former Foreign Secretary paid these costs throughout his time in the property, including the period from 9 July until he left on 31 July. There was no additional cost to the taxpayer incurred in this period.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.