Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 24th July 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Theresa Villiers Theresa Villiers Conservative, Chipping Barnet

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, if he will commission research into the relative health and longevity of people who have been taking statins for 10 years compared as against people with similar characteristics who have not taken statins.

Photo of Caroline Dinenage Caroline Dinenage Minister of State (Department of Health and Social Care)

The Department funds research through the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), which has a broad portfolio of research into cardiovascular disease, including reducing risk factors through medication.

The NIHR welcomes funding applications for research into any aspect of human health. It is not usual practice to ring-fence funds for particular topics or conditions. Applications for funding are subject to peer review and judged in open competition, with awards being made on the basis of the importance of the topic to patients and health and care services, value for money and scientific quality.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.