To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, pursuant to the Written Statement of 10 July 2018 on Update on the Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review, HCWS841, what the (a) names and (b) objectives are of the clinicians on the clinical advisory group for surgical mesh.
The name of the clinicians on the clinical advisory group for surgical mesh are:
Professor Jonathan Duckett – Chair – British Society of Urogynaecology (BSUG)
Mr Chris Harding - Chairman – British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS) subsection of female, neurological and urodynamic urology
Mr Roland Morley – President, Urology section of The Royal Society of Medicine; Chairman, Specialist Advisory Committee on Urology (United Kingdom)
Mr Nigel Acheson – Regional Medical Director, NHS England
Mr Alfred Cutner – NHS England Specialised Commissioning Clinical Reference Group
The objectives of the Clinical Advisory Group, with subject matter expert members representing NHS England, BSUG and BAUS, are to:
- Ensuring the appropriateness of the procedure and exclusion of alternatives.
- Ensuring that all appropriate surgical options have been offered, including where secondary referral would be required. Local unit capability should not restrict treatment options;
- Ensuring that appropriate information and consenting processes are in place in all cases;
- A process for provider trust Medical Director’s sign-off of the surgeon’s competence; and
- A process for documenting and registering the procedures.
5.Recommend how trusts and general practitioners should support patients with advice, including patients newly referred or diagnosed, patients on the waiting list, and patients who have had previous mesh surgery who may have concerns.