Travellers: Caravan Sites

Home Office written question – answered on 2nd July 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Ranil Jayawardena Ranil Jayawardena Conservative, North East Hampshire

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what powers the police have to direct people to leave an unauthorised encampment where local authority managed caravan sites apply a charge for residing.

Photo of Nick Hurd Nick Hurd The Minister of State, Home Department

There are a range of existing powers available for both the police and local authorities to tackle unauthorised encampments. Sections 61-62 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 provide specific powers to the police to direct people from unauthorised encampments if certain criteria are met.

A summary of the powers available to deal with unauthorised encampments has been published on the Government website at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.