Social Security Benefits: Kidney Diseases

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 2nd July 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Marion Fellows Marion Fellows SNP Whip, Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Small Business, Enterprise and Innovation)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what guidance and support her Department (a) is providing to and (b) has mandated from agencies managing assessments for (i) personal independence payments and (ii) employment support allowance for people with renal failure.

Photo of Sarah Newton Sarah Newton The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Guidance for Health Professionals carrying out Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessments is provided in the PIP Assessment Guide for Health Professionals.

The PIP assessment is designed to treat people as individuals, considering the impact of their disability or health condition on their everyday life and how each claimant has personally adapted to living with a disability, rather than the disability itself. Therefore the PIP Assessment Guide takes account of the functional impacts of all conditions, including renal failure.

The PIP Assessment Guide can be found here: Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment guide for assessment providers - GOV.UK

For Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) Health Professionals also have access to the Work Capability Assessment Handbook which sets out circumstances when a claimant can be treated as having limited capability for work which includes if they are undergoing regular treatment including haemodialysis for chronic renal failure.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.