Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Department for Work and Pensions: Complaints

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 26th June 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Grahame Morris Grahame Morris Labour, Easington

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, if she will publish an (a) email address and (b) freepost address for the public to make formal complaints to her Department.

Photo of Alok Sharma Alok Sharma The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

The DWP complaints process is available on and customers can contact DWP through a number of routes, by phone, in person or in writing if they are unhappy about their DWP service.

We encourage our customers, in the first instance, to raise their concerns with the part of the business they have been dealing with, as many concerns can be resolved at this point.

As customers are required to provide a national insurance number, full name and address to allow the query to be directed to the correct area of the business, we do not provide an email address as email is not a secure method of communication. has a portal facility which allows Jobseeker’s Allowance and Universal Credit customers to make a complaint, the portal does not ask for an email address.

As there are a number of ways to contact DWP to make a complaint, the Department does not provide freepost envelopes for customers.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.