High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 25th May 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of John Healey John Healey Shadow Secretary of State for Housing

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, what options he is considering to ensure that all privately-owned tower blocks remove and replace unsafe cladding.

Photo of James Brokenshire James Brokenshire The Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government

Since the Grenfell tragedy the Government has worked with fire and rescue services, local authorities and landlords, to identify high rise buildings with unsafe cladding, ensure interim measures are in place to reduce risks, and give building owners clear advice about what they need to do, over the longer term, to make buildings safe.

I will shortly be holding an industry roundtable on the barriers to the remediation of buildings with unsafe cladding. I have said that we rule nothing out at this stage.

The Government will fully fund the removal and replacement of potentially dangerous Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding on buildings over 18 metres owned by social landlords, with costs estimated at £400 million.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.