High Rise Flats: Fire Prevention

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 23rd May 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jim Fitzpatrick Jim Fitzpatrick Labour, Poplar and Limehouse

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, with reference to his Department's press release, Government announces it will fully fund unsafe cladding removal in social housing, published on 16 May 2018, what plans his Department has for similar support for leaseholders in private blocks.

Photo of Dominic Raab Dominic Raab Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

In the private sector, building owners are responsible for making buildings safe. We have been clear we think they or the developers of the buildings should pay and not pass costs on to leaseholders, either funding the work themselves or looking at alternative routes such as insurance claims, warranties or action to ensure those responsible for erecting unsafe cladding pay. Leaseholders can challenge the costs in courts if they are unreasonable.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.