Planning Permission

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 3rd May 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alec Shelbrooke Alec Shelbrooke Conservative, Elmet and Rothwell

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, whether local authorities are required to consult with residents of a neighbouring authority when a planning application is submitted relating to land abutting both local areas.

Photo of Dominic Raab Dominic Raab Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

Local planning authorities are legally required to publicise applications for planning permission, prior to deciding the application.

There is nothing to prevent a local planning authority notifying a neighbour resident in an adjoining authority area, where the application site abuts the boundary, and it would be considered good practice to do so.

In some cases, such as for major development, the local planning authority has a statutory duty to either display a site notice or serve a notice on any adjoining owner/occupier informing them of the application, irrespective of the location of any local authority boundary.

Local planning authorities must consider all representations received within the prescribed consultation period.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.