Armed Conflict: Sexual Offences

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 3rd May 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Baroness Helic Baroness Helic Conservative

To ask Her Majesty's Government what contribution the UK made in the last financial year to (1) UN programming on combating sexual and gender based violence, (2) the Team of Experts on the Rule of Law and Sexual Violence in Conflict, and (3) the United Nations Action against Sexual Violence in Conflict network; and what assessment they have made of report by the UN Secretary General on conflict-related sexual violence published on 23 March and of his recommendation to member states to ensure sustainable and regular funding for these efforts.

Photo of Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon Minister of State

In financial year 2017-18, the UK contributed £1.26 million to UN programming to combat conflict-related sexual violence (CRSV). This included £480,000 to the Team of Experts on the Rule of Law and Sexual Violence in Conflict and £600,000 to UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights as part of ongoing multi-year commitments. In addition, the UK provided £528,000 to the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) to support a range of activities and military training on gender issues, including CRSV. The UN Action against Sexual Violence in Conflict network (UN Action) has not been one of the recipients of UK funding on PSVI for financial years 2017/18 and 18/19. We continue to review our choice of implementers and have regular discussions with UN Action.

The UK welcomes the UN Secretary-General’s comprehensive report on CRSV and endorses his recommendation on sustainable and regular funding to tackle CRSV. The UK is already working with the UN to ensure many of the issues covered in his report feature prominently at the UK-hosted international meeting in 2019.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.