Driving: Licensing

Department for Transport written question – answered on 25th April 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jack Lopresti Jack Lopresti Conservative, Filton and Bradley Stoke

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, if he will take steps to ensure that UK driving licence holders are able to use those licences in EEA countries after the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of Chris Grayling Chris Grayling The Secretary of State for Transport

Irrespective of the outcome of our negotiations, our ratification of the 1968 Vienna Convention and 1949 Geneva Convention will ensure that UK licence holders can continue to drive after exit throughout the EU and EEA using an international driving permit document if necessary.

However, in the negotiations on transport we will be seeking to ensure that through the mutual recognition of driving licences, UK motorists can continue to drive throughout the EU and EEA after we have left. Such a deal is in the interests of both sides.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.