Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Undocumented Migrants: Commonwealth

Home Office written question – answered on 21st August 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Alistair Carmichael Alistair Carmichael Liberal Democrat Chief Whip, Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Northern Ireland)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, whether her Department plans to provide free legal advice to Commonwealth citizens who have lived in the UK since before 1971 and who now may face deportation because of a lack of documentation.

Photo of Caroline Nokes Caroline Nokes The Minister for Immigration

There will be no charge to obtain new documents or a residence permit. The simple process and the dedicated team assigned to help resolve individual cases should mean that individuals will not need to seek legal advice.

Those who arrived in the UK before 1 January 1973 are protected by virtue of their status provided by the 1971 Immigration Act. They will not be liable for deportation and will be able to regularise their stay.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.