Housing: Construction

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government written question – answered on 19th April 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Derek Twigg Derek Twigg Chair, Statutory Instruments (Joint Committee), Chair, Statutory Instruments (Select Committee)

To ask the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government, pursuant to the Answer of 9 March 2018 to Question 130480 on Housing: Construction, in the event that (a) a local authority does not have enough brownfield land left to meet their objectively assessed need and (b) neighbouring authorities cannot meet their unmet need would a Local Plan that does not meet objectively assessed housing need be passed by a Planning Inspector.

Photo of Dominic Raab Dominic Raab Minister of State (Housing, Communities and Local Government)

The draft revised National Planning Policy Framework, published for consultation on 5 March, makes it clear that plans will be found sound by a Planning Inspector only if they provide a strategy which will, as a minimum, meet as much of the identified housing need as possible. To do that they should make effective use of the land they have.

As well as using brownfield land and working with neighbours, local planning authorities should explore all other options such as under-utilised employment and commercial land and minimum density standards where appropriate.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.