European Food Safety Authority

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 28th March 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Tom Brake Tom Brake Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (International Trade), Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Exiting the European Union)

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether it is his policy for the UK to remain part of the European Food Safety Agency in the event that the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of Steve Brine Steve Brine The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

Departments are currently working together to understand the impacts that withdrawal from the European Union will have across a number of sectors and cross-cutting areas, including the European Food Safety Authority. The European Food Safety Authority provides independent scientific advice and risk assessments covering a wide range of policy areas. Options for the future of risk assessment and scientific advice in the United Kingdom are being developed and assessed by the Government. Requirements will depend on the nature of the relationship the UK has with the European Food Safety Authority once the UK leaves the EU. It will be a priority to maintain the UK’s high standards of food and feed safety, and to ensure we take a risk-based, proportionate approach when providing risk assessments.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.