Environment Agency and Food Standards Agency: Regulation

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 29th March 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jon Trickett Jon Trickett Shadow Minister (Cabinet Office), Shadow Lord President of the Council

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what assessment he has made of the recommendations directed towards the (a) Environment Agency and (b) Food Standards Agency arising from the Cabinet Office's Regulatory Futures Review, published in January 2017.

Photo of Therese Coffey Therese Coffey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

(a) The Environment Agency is working with the Cabinet Office, Defra and other regulators on implementing the recommendations in the Regulatory Futures Review.

Progress builds on existing schemes, including:

  • improving cost recovery through implementing its new charging scheme from 1 April 2018;

  • working with business on plans to develop regulated self-assurance and earned recognition beyond the existing pig and poultry assurance scheme;

  • working with major stakeholders to refresh its outcome based approach to implementing regulation as set out in the 2013 Environment Agency report, ‘Regulating for people, the environment and growth’; and

  • working with others on the feasibility of improving data sharing between regulators through the establishment of a Regulatory Intelligence Hub.

(b) The Food Standards Agency fully recognises the need to improve and modernise the way that regulatory controls for food are delivered. It is pursuing the Cabinet Office's Regulatory Futures Review recommendations through its ‘Regulating our Future’ programme (ROF programme) launched in February 2016. It aims to ensure a sustainable approach to food safety regulation, one that brings about behaviour change to benefit consumers. The ministerial responsibility for the Food Standard Agency falls under the Department for Health and Social Care, who can be contacted for further information.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.