Immigration: EU Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 8th March 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Deidre Brock Deidre Brock Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Devolved Government Relations), Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Fair Work and Employment), Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Northern Ireland)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, what evidence will be required for EU citizens to prove five years of continuous residency after the UK leaves the EU.

Photo of Caroline Nokes Caroline Nokes The Minister for Immigration

We​ ​have​ ​agreed​ ​with​ ​the​ ​EU​ ​that​ ​the​ ​eligibility​ ​criteria for UK settled status​ ​will​ ​be​ ​the​ ​same as,​ ​or​ ​more​ ​favourable than,​ ​​those​ ​set​ ​out​ ​in​ ​the​ ​Free​ ​Movement​ ​Directive​ ​for​ ​acquiring permanent​ ​residence. The​ ​UK​ ​will​ set ​the​ ​evidence requirements​ ​to​ ​suit​ ​the demands​ ​of​ ​this​ ​unique​ ​situation. ​For​ ​example, we will not ask applicants to account for every trip that they have taken out of the UK, nor will we require evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance.

For those who already hold a valid EEA permanent residence document, there will be a simple process to exchange this for a settled status document, subject to ID verification and submission of a photograph, a security check and confirmation of ongoing residence. The previous residence assessment will not be re-done.

The new system will be streamlined, user-friendly and will draw on existing Government data to minimise the burden on applicants to provide documentary evidence. Further, more detailed evidential requirements are being developed and will be published in due course.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No2 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.