Children: Refuges

Department for Education written question – answered on 9th March 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Andrew Gwynne Andrew Gwynne Co-National Campaign Coordinator, Shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, what support his Department provides for a child whose parent enters a women's refuge in (a) Greater Manchester and (b) England.

Photo of Nadhim Zahawi Nadhim Zahawi The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Education

Under section 17 of the Children Act 1989, every local authority has a duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children within their area who are in need, by providing a range and level of services appropriate to those children’s needs. If a child joins the parent in a refuge, the duty would lie with the local authority where the refuge is situated, by virtue of the child being in their area. This would apply to Manchester as to any other authority.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.