Social Security Benefits: Immigrants

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 26th February 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Jessica Morden Jessica Morden Opposition Whip (Commons)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what her Department’s policy is on benefit entitlement for people who have lived in the UK for 10 or more years with indefinite leave to remain but do not have a biometric residency permit and cannot afford the fee.

Photo of Alok Sharma Alok Sharma The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Access to income-related benefits is conditional upon satisfying a Habitual Residence Test (HRT) where claimants must provide proof of their nationality and immigration status; their employment (where appropriate) and habitual residence in the UK. Non-UK nationals who are granted leave to remain in the UK with the right to claim public funds must also satisfy the eligibility conditions of the benefit they are seeking to claim. Procedures are in place for DWP to seek verification from the Home Office if claimants are unable to provide proof of their nationality and immigration status.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.