Mast Cell Activation Syndrome

Department of Health and Social Care written question – answered on 28th February 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Dame Cheryl Gillan Dame Cheryl Gillan Conservative, Chesham and Amersham

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, whether tests for mast cell activation markers, completed by the Protein Reference Unit Lab in Sheffield, are available on the NHS.

Photo of Steve Brine Steve Brine The Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Health and Social Care

A number of standard tests relevant to patients being cared for in allergy clinics are available at most hospitals. Mast cell activation marker tests are not standard tests within the National Health Service and are ordered by individual NHS clinicians using local procedures based on the assessment of individual cases.

The expertise required to investigate and manage the allergic symptoms experienced exists within allergy clinics provided by the NHS. A list of allergy clinics can be obtained from the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology at:

The Royal College of Physician’s Improving Quality in Allergy Services scheme at:

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.