Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education

Department for Education written question – answered on 22nd February 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Catherine West Catherine West Labour, Hornsey and Wood Green

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, whether there are plans for the PHSE national curriculum to include components to raise awareness of the problem of eating disorders.

Photo of Nick Gibb Nick Gibb Minister of State (Education)

The Children and Social Work Act 2017 provides a power for the Secretary of State for Education to make Personal, Social, Health and Economic education (PSHE), or elements therein, mandatory in all schools. The Government also made a manifesto commitment that all pupils should learn about mental wellbeing and the mental health risks of the internet. The Department is conducting a thorough engagement process, including a call for evidence, on the status and content of PSHE, as well as the new subjects of Relationships Education and Relationships and Sex Education. We will use the findings to finalise draft regulations and guidance, which will then be subject to consultation.

Schools are already free to address eating disorders through PSHE, as well as in the wider curriculum. The Government funded the PSHE Association to provide guidance to schools on how to teach pupils about mental health. The guidance includes age-appropriate advice on teaching about eating disorders. The Government has also funded information for school staff. MindEd is a free online portal that includes specific information on eating disorders, which can be found at:

The Government is also consulting on the green paper 'Transforming Children and Young People’s Mental Health Provision'. It includes proposals for new mental health support teams to provide more trained support for young people with mental health issues, and to improve access to specialist support where it is needed.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.