We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Sri Lanka: Human Rights

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 14th February 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Kate Osamor Kate Osamor Shadow Secretary of State for International Development

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what steps his Department is taking to monitor the delivery of commitments made by the Government of Sri Lanka under UN Human Rights Council Resolution 34/1.

Photo of Mark Field Mark Field Minister of State

The UK is closely monitoring delivery of the commitments made by the Government of Sri Lanka under UN Human Rights Council Resolution 34/1, in collaboration with the UN, international partners, Government of Sri Lanka and civil society. I raised commitments most recently with Foreign Minister Marapana by telephone on 8 February.

During my visit to Colombo and Jaffna in October 2017 I also discussed the importance of the Sri Lankan government meeting its obligations in full under UN Human Rights Council Resolution 34/1, which rolled over the commitments made under 30/1. Among these were establishing transitional justice mechanisms, including a credible accountability process for those most responsible for violations and abuses during Sri Lanka's civil war and the return of military held civilian land, particularly in the predominantly Tamil north and east.

The UK continues to support the Government of Sri Lanka in its efforts to promote reconciliation and human rights. The UK is also providing Sri Lanka with £6.6 million of Conflict, Stability and Security Fund funding over three years, to include support for police reform and training, reconciliation and peace building, and demining in the north of the country.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.