We need your support to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can continue to hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder


House of Commons Commission written question – answered on 30th January 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of David Drew David Drew Shadow Minister (Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

To ask the right hon. Member for Carshalton and Wallington, representing the House of Commons Commission, which wastes are sent for incineration by the Parliamentary authorities; and whether the Commission has made an assessment of alternative sources of disposal for such wastes.

Photo of Tom Brake Tom Brake Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (International Trade), Liberal Democrat Spokesperson (Exiting the European Union)

Parliament’s ‘general waste’ stream is sent for incineration at an ‘energy from waste’ facility. General waste bins in offices are clearly marked and are for food, food contaminated packaging, crisps packets, tea bags, coffee grounds, disposable coffee cups and take away meal containers.

The House authorities and their waste contractor carry out audits of the general waste stream to identify opportunities to move general wastes up the waste hierarchy, by avoiding the generation of wastes in the first instance, and to identify ways to increase recycling where possible.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.