Repatriation: Families

Foreign and Commonwealth Office written question – answered on 23rd January 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Marion Fellows Marion Fellows SNP Whip, Shadow SNP Spokesperson (Small Business, Enterprise and Innovation)

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, what support is available to families to repatriate a family member who dies abroad and for whom they cannot afford the cost of repatriation.

Photo of Harriett Baldwin Harriett Baldwin Minister of State (Department for International Development) (Joint with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office), Minister of State (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) (Joint with the Department for International Development)

The support available for families of British nationals who die overseas of is set out in the Guide for Bereaved Families. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office also produces country-specific bereavement packs, with practical information for bereaved families, including lists of local and international funeral directors and information on legal processes in other countries. If a bereaved family cannot repatriate the body of their deceased relative for any reason, consular staff can provide information on the cost of local burial or cremation and help transfer money from friends and relatives in the UK to pay any necessary costs. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is unable to pay any burial, cremation or repatriation expenses or settle any debts. Families should look, in the first instance, to insurers to cover the cost. If the deceased was not insured, then friends and family may be able to bear the cost.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.