Universal Credit: Council Tax Reduction Schemes

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 8th January 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Anneliese Dodds Anneliese Dodds Shadow Minister (Treasury)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether jobcentre plus staff inform clients claiming universal credit that they are eligible to claim council tax relief in those local authority areas where this relief is still available for working-age people.

Photo of Damian Hinds Damian Hinds The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions, The Secretary of State for Education

When making an online claim for Universal Credit, claimants are signposted to independent websites and benefit calculators which highlight other support that may be available in their area, including Council Tax reduction.

DWP staff are aware of support available locally and this forms a key part of the conversations during the initial stages of a Universal Credit claim.

They also promote national products of support, such as the online money manager developed by the Money Advice Service.

There is a section on Gov.uk relating to budgeting support which can be found here:


Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.