Social Security Benefits

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 10th January 2018.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Marsha de Cordova Marsha de Cordova Shadow Minister (Work and Pensions) (Disabled People)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, whether he plans to protect claimants in the Employment and Support Allowance Support Group and its Universal Credit equivalent from financial loss if they engage in work-related activity and are subsequently transferred to the Work-Related Activity Group or its Universal Credit equivalent.

Photo of Sarah Newton Sarah Newton The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

Where an ESA claimant in the Support Group or the UC equivalent chooses to undertake some form of work-related activity, we provide encouragement, help and support to assist the claimant to do so. Volunteering to undertake some work-related activity does not mean, in itself, that the claimant will be transferred to the Work-related Activity Group.

ESA and UC claimants whose condition improves so that following a Work Capability Assessment they move from the Support Group to the Work-related Activity Group will receive the relevant rate of benefit. Where the date of claim is prior to 3 April 2017 that will include the work-related activity component and the UC equivalent.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.