Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Refugees: Syria

Home Office written question – answered on 21st December 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Scriven Lord Scriven Liberal Democrat

To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to their response to the House of Commons International Development Committee's report Syrian refugees crisis (1st report, 2015–16, HC Paper 463 and 5th Special Report, 2015–16, HC Paper 902), whether they plan to record the sexual orientation or gender identity of people referred to the UK for resettlement if and when it is declared by the refugee.

Photo of Baroness Williams of Trafford Baroness Williams of Trafford The Minister of State, Home Department

We do not ask individuals referred to the UK for resettlement by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to disclose their sexual orientation, therefore this is not recorded unless it is a factor in their need for protection.

Individuals who require protection because of their sexual orientation are likely to be referred to us under UNCHR’s vulnerability category of ‘Legal and/or Physical Protection Needs’. We have no plans to change this approach.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.