Agriculture: Floods

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs written question – answered on 27 December 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Laurence Robertson Laurence Robertson Conservative, Tewkesbury

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, what steps he is taking to provide compensation to farmers for the use of their land to store flood water.

Photo of Therese Coffey Therese Coffey The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Under the Water Resources Act 1991 the Environment Agency may, where appropriate, pay compensation when it has carried out a scheme to create an area of flood storage. This is where land is purposely flooded to intentionally store water away from a watercourse, helping to reduce flood risk downstream e.g. a flood storage reservoir. Flood risk management authorities do not pay compensation to farmers where their land floods naturally, for example on natural flood plains.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.