Energy: Housing

Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy written question – answered on 5th December 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Gill Furniss Gill Furniss Shadow Minister (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Steel, Postal Affairs and Consumer Protection)

To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, what steps the Government is taking to upgrade fuel poor homes to Band C or above.

Photo of Claire Perry Claire Perry The Minister of State, Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Minister of State (Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Energy and Clean Growth)

Holding answer received on 01 December 2017

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) requires energy companies to fund household energy efficiency improvements each year. 70% of ECO is currently focussed on improving the energy efficiency of low income and vulnerable households and we intend to consult on moving that to 100% for the next Obligation period. Combined with energy rebates under the Warm Home Discount scheme, this is at least £770m of support to low income and vulnerable households in 2017/18.

In the Clean Growth Strategy, the Government committed to extend support for home energy efficiency out to 2028 at least as the current levels of ECO funding (£640m per annum), and review the best form of support beyond 2022 recognising the need to both save carbon and meet the Government’s commitment to upgrade all fuel poor homes to EPC Band C by 2030.

In addition, Government has legislated from April 2018 that all landlords of the worst performing privately rented properties must meet a minimum standard of Energy Performance Certificate Band E, before they can be let. In the longer term, Government has committed to looking at raising energy performance standards across the private rented sector, with a view for as many properties to reach Energy Performance Certificate Band C by 2030.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.