Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Universal Credit: Disability

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 29th November 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Touhig Lord Touhig Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government whether people with (1) learning disabilities, (2) autism, and (3) other forms of disability, will have the opportunity to make a claim for Universal Credit in person.

Photo of Baroness Buscombe Baroness Buscombe The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Work and Pensions

The Universal Credit full service is designed around user needs to be as accessible as possible. Those claimants who lack capability to make their claim via the on-line self-service, or are not able to travel, can call the Universal Credit Service Centre on 0345 600 0723. The UC Service Centre will establish the best means of support available, which could be signposting to Universal Support delivered locally, the local Jobcentre or telephony support. In exceptional circumstances, a home visit can be arranged to support a claimant in making their initial claim and completing any other administrative tasks required to ensure the claimant receives the correct payment.

Should a claimant present at the local Jobcentre, there are staff available to support them to make their UC claim on-line and navigate their on-line account. They aim to provide this there and then. If a disabled claimant or claimant with complex needs does not have all of the information available to complete the on-line claim, or if all the staff are helping other claimants, they will be given a date and time to return.

If a disabled or claimant with complex needs or their advocate phone the Jobcentre, they will provide an appointment with either the Local Authority or the Jobcentre to receive support.

In addition, when a claimant is incapable of managing their own affairs the Secretary of State may appoint a person to act on the claimant’s behalf in all dealings with the Department.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.