St James's Park: Cycleways

Department for Transport written question – answered at on 14 November 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Berkeley Lord Berkeley Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government, further to the Written Answer by Lord Ashton of Hyde on 25 October 2016 (HL 2343), what discussions Royal Parks has had with Transport for London concerning completion of the East West Cycle Superhighway in St James’s Park; and whether the licence for those works imposes any deadline for their completion.

Photo of Baroness Sugg Baroness Sugg Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport)

Transport in London is devolved to the Mayor of London and delivered by Transport for London. The Department is not involved in discussions between Royal Parks and Transport for London (TfL) about construction of cycle superhighways.

The East-West Cycle Superhighway will run through central London – and will provide a route from Tower Hill to Lancaster Gate. TfL plans to complete this route this winter.

The Hyde Park cycle track is open in full along West Carriage Drive and South Carriage Drive and provides fully segregated cycling facilities. There is however some ongoing remedial works and other related works such as the reconfiguration of the Diana Car Park.

With respect to St. James Park, Birdcage Walk remedial works begin on 13 November 2017. The resurfacing outside of Buckingham Palace memorial begins 20 November 2017. These works have been delayed due to issues sourcing the red surfacing material. Constitution Hill in Green Park, adjacent to St. James Park, is open in full.

TfL anticipate that the cycle track will be open in St James Park from mid-December 2017, subject to the remaining works going to programme. In the meantime, TfL continues to engage with local businesses, residents and stakeholders to ensure those affected are kept informed about the work arrangements.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.