Personal Independence Payment

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 9th November 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Afzal Khan Afzal Khan Shadow Minister (Home Office) (Immigration)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what disability-specific training personal independence payment assessors receive to enable them to adapt their communication and assessment methods so that claimants can better understand and take part in their assessment.

Photo of Penny Mordaunt Penny Mordaunt The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions, The Secretary of State for International Development

The Department has set clear requirements on the professions, skills, experience and training of the Healthcare Professionals that the providers should use to carry out assessments. Healthcare Professionals are medically qualified professionals who have previous clinical experience of communicating with individuals who have varied conditions.

All Healthcare Professionals receive comprehensive training in disability analysis which includes communication skills and understanding the communication needs of those with specific disabilities. This training builds on prior clinical knowledge to develop an understanding as to how conditions affect claimants in their day-to-day activities.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No1 person thinks not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.