Only a few days to go: We’re raising £25,000 to keep TheyWorkForYou running and make sure people across the UK can hold their elected representatives to account.

Donate to our crowdfunder

Social Services: Disability

Department of Health written question – answered on 15th November 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Touhig Lord Touhig Labour

To ask Her Majesty's Government what assessment they have made of the social care needs of working-age disabled adults distinct from the care needs of people over the age of 65.

Photo of Lord O'Shaughnessy Lord O'Shaughnessy The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

We have not made an assessment of the distinct social care needs of working-age disabled adults as a group.

Under the Care Act 2014, where an adult or carer appears to have care and support, or support needs, the local authority must carry out an assessment. It must then decide if the person has eligible needs by considering what needs they have, how these impact on their ability to achieve certain outcomes, and the impact on their wellbeing. Where a person is assessed as having eligible care and support, or support needs, these must be met by their local authority.

The Government understands that there are specific challenges in relation to funding and quality of care for people of working age, and their carers. We will continue to carefully consider how best to support people of working age with care and support needs, alongside older people.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.