Ministry of Justice written question – answered on 9th November 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Lord Laming Lord Laming Chair, Accommodation Steering Group Committee, Chair, Services Committee, Chair, Services Committee

To ask Her Majesty's Government how many offenders have failed to keep appointments with probation officers employed by MTC Novo.

Photo of Lord Keen of Elie Lord Keen of Elie The Advocate-General for Scotland, Lords Spokesperson (Ministry of Justice)

The table below displays the number of offenders managed by an MTC Novo Provider (London Community Rehabilitation Company and Thames Valley Community Rehabilitation Company) with an absence recorded on nDelius (the national case management system for Probation) during the period of 1 April 2017 to 30 June 2017. This data is not limited to contact with Probation Officers and includes all categories of enforceable contacts, including Unpaid Work, Accredited Programmes and other interventions.

Thames Valley CRC

London CRC

All MTC Novo

Acceptable Absence




Unacceptable Absence




Attendance Not Recorded




Total Offenders managed




Absences are categorised as Acceptable or Unacceptable. Acceptable absences include contacts that have been cancelled for administrative reasons (for example, 15 days of Unpaid Work, which is typical for a 100 hours order, originally booked to be worked on a Thursday but later changed to a Wednesday to reflect childcare arrangements for an offender would count as 15 Acceptable Absences), as well as circumstances where an offender has provided good reasons for their failure to attend (for example, a letter from a GP to prove ill health).

Our policy is clear that offenders who fail to comply more than once with their order (without an acceptable explanation), should be subject to breach proceedings. We enforce this requirement robustly with all providers of Probation services.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes1 person thinks so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.