Department of Health written question – answered on 12th October 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Fiona Bruce Fiona Bruce Conservative, Congleton

To ask the Secretary of State for Health, what steps his Department takes to ensure that the children of problem drinkers (a) have access to and (b) receive the support they need.

Photo of Steve Brine Steve Brine The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health

Alcohol addiction has a devastating impact on individuals and their families and it is unacceptable that children bear the brunt of their parents’ condition. The Government is considering what further support it can provide to tackle alcohol harms, focusing on vulnerable groups including families and children.

In the meantime, Public Health England is already undertaking a programme of work to address this issue. This includes improving the evidence base; enhancing data; ensuring local authorities are given high quality advice and support in relation to alcohol treatment services, and any safeguarding implications; and social marketing.

The Government has also put in place a range of measures to help ensure children are provided with accurate information and the tools they need to make informed decisions about their relationship with alcohol. This includes the FRANK drug information and advice service; Family Nurse Partnerships to help parents within potentially vulnerable families to develop their parenting capacity; and tailored and co-ordinated support via the Troubled Families programme.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No3 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.