Special Educational Needs: British Nationals Abroad

Department for Education written question – answered on 11th October 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Rosie Duffield Rosie Duffield Labour, Canterbury

To ask the Secretary of State for Education, where Government responsibility lies for the funding of high needs support for students aged 16 to 25 who are studying outside the UK.

Photo of Jo Johnson Jo Johnson Minister of State (Department for Education) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy), Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Universities and Science) (Joint with the Department for Education)

High needs funding is provided to local authorities through the high needs block of the Dedicated Schools Grant, and supports provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities up to the age of 25, including provision named in education, health and care (EHC) plans.

In deciding on the appropriate placement for a child or young person, local authorities have a duty to consider the efficient use of local authority resources, as well as whether the placement can meet the young person’s needs. If it is deemed necessary to secure provision outside of the UK for a child or young person with an EHC plan, the local authority may use its high needs budget to fund the special educational provision. There is no responsibility for local authorities to provide funding for provision outside of the UK if the child or young person’s needs do not require an EHC plan.

We are not aware of any current cases where local authorities are supporting pupils with special educational needs outside of the UK.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes2 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.