Universities: EU Nationals

Home Office written question – answered on 4th October 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Stephen Gethins Stephen Gethins Shadow SNP Spokesperson (International Affairs and Europe)

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department, if she will make it her policy that applications for settled status of EU academics working in UK universities will not be affected by the time spent outside of the UK to support their research activity.

Photo of Brandon Lewis Brandon Lewis The Minister for Immigration

As set out in paragraph 20 of the Government’s policy paper (Cm 9464), settled status would generally be lost if a person was absent from the UK for more than two years, unless they have strong ties here.

Both the UK and EU’s position - as set out in the joint technical note on citizens’ rights available here: www.gov.uk/government/publications/joint-technical-note-on-the-comparison-of-eu-uk-positions-on-citizens-rights - is that in identifying the necessary five years’ continuous residence to acquire settled status, the definition of continuity of residence should reflect Article 16 (3) of Directive 2004/38, which permits absences of six months in any 12 months, or 12 months for an important reason, for example studying or being posted abroad.

We will publish more details of the new scheme, including details of eligibility criteria, in due course once an agreement has been reached.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.