Personal Independence Payment: Yorkshire and the Humber

Department for Work and Pensions written question – answered on 20th September 2017.

Alert me about debates like this

Photo of Emma Hardy Emma Hardy Labour, Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, how many claims for personal independence payment in (a) Hull and (b) East Riding have been due to a mental health illness in each of the last five years.

Photo of Penny Mordaunt Penny Mordaunt The Minister of State, Department for Work and Pensions

The requested information for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) applications is not available as information on PIP claimants’ disabling conditions is not collected at the initial claim application stage. Only those who have a disability assessment determination decision will have a primary disabling condition recorded for them. The Department does not therefore hold data on the number of individuals with a particular condition who make a claim for PIP.

The latest available data on PIP claims in payment, including by main disabling condition and geography (e.g. local authority), are published on Stat-Xplore: To filter for mental health illness, select ‘Psychiatric Disorders’ from the Disability menu on the left.

Guidance on how to use Stat-Xplore can be found here:

These data relate to the claimant’s main disabling condition. Claimants may often have multiple disabling conditions, but these cannot be identified from the data the department holds. Therefore there may be other claimants in receipt of PIP who have been diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder who are not captured in the above data.

Does this answer the above question?

Yes0 people think so

No0 people think not

Would you like to ask a question like this yourself? Use our Freedom of Information site.